Saturday, January 16, 2010

Today free! Eid ul-Fitr in Chiang Mai

(September 2009)

 Masjid Hidayatul

On the first day of Eid ul-Fitr or Hari Raya Aidilfitri, I went to Masjid Hidayatul (Hidayatul Mosque) in Chiang Mai city.

Entrance to the mosque

The atmosphere around the mosque was warm & festive. Everyone on the street was exchanging greetings with one another.

Greetings

When I walked into the restaurant where I had the delicious Khao Soy a few days earlier, the owner recognized me and said, ‘today free!’

Friendly restaurant owner

I soon realized that all the restaurants around the mosque was offering food & beverages for free to anyone who walked in. This is a tradition on the day after Ramadan.

Delicious beef noodle

I was immediately offered a delicious bowl of beef noodle with a tomato-based broth. The owner asked if I wanted a second bowl with chicken… hahaha… what do you think I said to that?

The crowd in one of the restaurants

The restaurants were so packed with people that many had to stand and eat outside of the restaurants.

Free food for all

Due to my attire & the camera in my hand, I was obviously a tourist. This led to many of the shop and restaurant owners waving their hands to invite me to join them for a feast.

Come in to join us

It was great to feel so welcome by so many strangers in a foreign place.

No comments:

Post a Comment