Monday, January 18, 2010

Delicious Food and Extraordinary Service

(September 2009)

Khao Thip Suchada

After I got off the songthaew, I walked an hour to the entrance of the arts and crafts village, Baan Tawai.

I expected this one hour walk as I was told that during the low tourist season, I wouldn’t find any tuk-tuk to take me from the drop-off point to Baan Tawai.

Baan Tawan

Anyway, I didn’t mind the walk as it was a nice day and there were many factories and galleries along the road before I even got to the entrance of Baan Tawai.

About 500m away from the main entrance to Baan Tawai, I chanced upon this restaurant on the right-hand side of the road.

Khao Thip Suchada

The setup of the open-air huts, the abundant plants, and an adjacent gallery attracted me to this place.

Khao Thip Suchada

Anyway, it’s time for lunch and I need to quench my thirst.

Khao Thip Suchada

I didn’t expect much but to my surprise, the food was exceptionally good in terms of the quality of the ingredients and the cooking method.

Khao Thip Suchada

Like this plate of stir-fry kueyteow (flat rice noodle) which obviously was cooked with low heat and enough time ‘dry up’ the keuyteow. Coupled with the high quality soy sauce, an ordinary dish turned extraordinary!

The soy sauce tasted like one of those non-commercially bottled variety.

Khao Thip Suchada

I had to get a second opinion by trying the garlic shrimp with steamed rice which I enjoyed as much as the first dish.

Again, the soy sauce brought out the garlic and shrimp flavor, instead of overpowering them. Credit must also go to the chef who handled the sequence of adding the ingredients and the timing of the cooking perfectly.

Khao Thip Suchada

It’s only 30 Baht (RM3.10) for each of the dish!

Khao Thip Suchada

Try the excellent ice blended beet root.

Khao Thip Suchada

I met the chef who is also the owner, Ms. Suchada when she took a break from the kitchen between customers. Ms. Suchada was both humble and friendly.

When she found out that I walked an hour from the main road into Baan Tawai, she offered and gave me a ride in her private car back to the main road after my visit in Baan Tawai!

I was totally amazed by Ms. Suchada’s hospitality and the many other friendly gestures I encountered in Chiang Mai.

I love Chiang Mai!

No comments:

Post a Comment